e-Qualitas are a DfE approved, leading provider of Teaching Apprenticeships across England
The Teaching Apprenticeship Programme (TAP) is a nationally recognised, employment-based route to gaining QTS (Qualified Teacher Status).
- Next start date: September 2024
- Apprenticeship period: Full-time 12 months+1 week. QTS is gained in the third term and then the end-point assessment (EPA) must be completed within 12-15 months.
- Qualification: Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- Fees and funding: Schools can use their apprenticeship levy to cover the training fee and access available salary grant funding to help pay the trainee teacher’s salary
Submit an enquiry today:
The following salary grant funding is available to schools that enrol trainees on the Teaching Apprenticeship Programme:
- ££28,000 for Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics trainees
- £16,000 for Geography and Biology
- £1,000 for English
In addition to working towards QTS, upon successful completion of the course, apprentices will also complete an end-point assessment (EPA) after the summer to consolidate learning from initial teacher training.
- Trainees are employed by a school while they learn in the job. In some cases, this may be a school they’re already working for, or have an existing relationship with.
- If a trainee is already working as an unqualified teacher or teaching assistant, QTS offers new opportunities for career progression, plus higher earning capacity, recognition, and status.
- Trainees receive a combination of classroom teaching and off-the-job training as they work towards QTS.
- The secondary programme focusses on the 11 – 16 or the 14-19 age range and the primary programme takes place across the 3-7 or, 7-11 or 5-11 age ranges
- Fees: £9,000, payable by the employer school (a school can use its apprenticeship levy to cover fees*)
Teaching apprentices split their time between school and study – receiving practical, school-led training alongside experienced staff, and spending at least 20% of their time off-timetable to learn the pedagogy of teaching.
The secondary programme focusses on the 11 – 16 or the 14-19 age range and the primary programme takes place across the 3-7 or, 7-11 or 5-11 age ranges.
Meet our Trainees…
Current trainees share their feedback of training days at Hend House…
FAQs about the Teaching Apprenticeship programme:
How long does the programme run for?
The Teaching Apprenticeship route runs parallel to School Direct (salaried). However, it lasts 12 months. The ITT training programme and QTS assessment are the same for both routes.
Who pays for the Initial Teacher Training course?
The ITT provider’s costs are paid for out of the levy (£9,000). If a school’s levy account has too little, the government covers 95% of the shortfall. The school pays the remaining 5%.
Who delivers the Teaching Apprenticeship Programme?
We are DfE approved ITT providers, delivering the Teaching Apprenticeship Programme, with cohorts starting on August 31st. e-Qualitas as a leading ITT provider is on the RoATP and is, therefore, able to deliver the Teaching Apprenticeship Programme route.
How much off-the-job training is required during the Teaching Apprenticeship?
A school will employ an apprentice for at least 12 months. He or she must have at least 20% ‘off the job training for activities such as independent study, in-school training, attending courses and training days, focused visits to other schools.
Who pays the salary of the trainee?
For DfE funded places, a school receives a grant to contribute to the salary costs. Click here for further information. The school must have DfE permission to recruit to funded salaried places.
When will the Teaching Apprentice be awarded QTS?
The trainee is assessed for QTS within the 12-month apprenticeship programme, at which point QTS is awarded and the teacher moves to the qualified teachers’ pay scale.
Who is eligible to start a Teaching Apprenticeship?
For someone to start a Teaching Apprenticeship they must;
- Have the equivalent to a grade 4 in GCSE English and mathematics. If they intend to teach primary-aged pupils, they will also need a grade 4 GCSE in a science subject.
- Have a degree awarded by a UK higher education provider or a recognised equivalent qualification.
- Demonstrate fundamental skills in English and maths to an appropriate level. They will be supported to achieve this if need be.
- They must be employed in a real job in a school.
If your school is considering this route:
Book a 20 minute call with our team to discuss our Initial Teacher Training Programmes:
Training Days and Conferences
A look at some of the Training Day highlights from our Initial Teacher Training Programmes